Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Snow

 

The kids and I have been doing some reading/activities on snowflakes the past couple weeks. We made paper snowflakes which made a mess of our own little white snowflakes all over the kitchen floor! We also read about Wilson Bentley who first began photographing snowflakes with a microscopic camera. He began to discover that each snowflake was uniquely different. We paged through the book he published with his original slides and were awed by the beauty of them, and yet noticed that they followed rules and patterns. It is amazing to me that something so small and almost unnoticeable in itself is so delicately and carefully formed. It strengthens my faith. If God takes such pleasure in adorning these tiny insignificant ice crystals, how much more will He delight in beautifying me. In refining me. I am not one of those who wastes away through the winter and looks only to springtime ahead. I love winter. To dress the world in such a splendid gown! To be alive in it, to smell it, to crunch my way through it, to listen to its quiet stillness.

I am also struck by the drive towards individuality within community. I feel like this is a theme in nature. To be desperate to belong - as the snowflake is always built off of some kind of hexagon, and yet to want to be entirely oneself. Unequivocally unique within the safety of this community.

Hopefully we'll get enough to go sledding!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment